By Kerri Kibbey
My family and I have been living in Tampa for almost 6 years and have yet to visit all the wonderful places it offered it’s residents. This summer the kids (Zane 5 and Kennedy 4) and I decided to skip camps and pretend we are tourists. Each week we try and plan something we have never done before. Here are the some of the activities we have let pass us by and why your family should treat every summer as if you were a tourist:.
1. The TECO Line Streetcar. You’ve seen it downtown, passing the aquarium and through Ybor City, but have you ever actually been on it? After an aquarium visit one day we rode it downtown and then to Ybor City. The kids were excited to point out all the places they recognized and we jumped off in Ybor for ice cream at Joffrey’s.
3. Tampa Bay Storm Game. If you have never experienced arena football, I encourage you to go. It was a BLAST! We happenedto attended the rivalry game: Orlando Predators vs Tampa Bay Storm. We saw the SWAT team propel down from the center of the field, motorcycle cops with their lights on drive around the arena, the lighting bolts went off when the Storm scored, constant action with the players, and go cart races during halftime. The kids are asking to go back to the final home game.
4. Beaches. We could probably find a new beach each week to visit. There are so many beautiful beaches we haven’t even been able to explore yet. Pass-a-grille and Indian Rocks have been two of our favorites so far.
5. eBoating. Have you seen the eBoats cruising down the Hillsborough River? The boats leave from the Tamp Bay Convention Center/Sail Pavilion and seat up to 15 people. You may bring your own food and drinks on board and they rent by the hour. They say it’s just like driving a golf cart and will give you a quick tutorial on how to drive before they send you off down the river. Date night, girls night out, family fun day or even to give out of town guests a tour of the area…. I highly recommend you rent one soon.
6. Tampa Bay Rays Summer Games. The TB Rays offer summer concerts and family events throughout the summer months. Each summer we pick a game to take he kids to and usually these events end with the kids being able to run around on the field. Sporting event and family fun – that’s what the summers are about.